NO LONGER UPDATED visit Pixiespocket.com

This is an old blog, not updated, but you can find the new blog over at PixiesPocket.com - you'll find articles and recipes about herbalism, gardening, scratch recipes, brewing, canning, book reviews, upcoming events, and more.

February 4, 2011

Let's Talk About: Local Honey!

Every now and then, folks ask if I ever sell plain honey in my shop, The Pixie's Pocket.

Unfortunately, I won't feel quite right doing this until I have my own hives and bees to tend to, as it feels like cheating to sell another beekeeper's honey without adding my own touch to it, infusing it with lovely herbs.

Here's a recent query I received about The Pixie's Pocket:

"I have a question about your honey...We LOVE your naturally flavored honey, and I was wondering, particularly with interest in regard to its basic flowery flavor,  are you willing to sell the honey plain?"

Weeeeelllll....I suppose that am willing to do so, but it would be more beneficial to your health and your local economy to support one of your nearby beekeepers!

The honey that I have used as the base of infused honeys from the Pixie's Pocket are both wildflower blends. When I lived in Virginia, I supported Golden Angels Apiary from the Shenandoah Valley.  Now that I live in North Carolina, I use Haw Creek Honey.

Now, I suppose I could fill one of my pretty jars with Haw Creek Honey, package it up, and mail it to you. But I'd have to charge you pretty well for it...instead, for the same price, you could be getting a larger jar of honey made from the wildflowers in your town, supporting your local beekeepers, and saving on carbon emissions from shipping!

Check your local farm market to find someone selling honey from their hives.  Or you can use this list of resources to find a beekeeper near you:
  • Check your local farm market
  • Local Harvest:  These guys don't just list honey, but all farm markets and u-pick farms in the United States
  • Find your local beekeeper's association and inquire with them
  • The Honey Board:  Another United States site, search by state for honey distributors.
  • Honey-O: Finally, an international guide to beekeepers and beekeeping associations!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home