NO LONGER UPDATED visit Pixiespocket.com

This is an old blog, not updated, but you can find the new blog over at PixiesPocket.com - you'll find articles and recipes about herbalism, gardening, scratch recipes, brewing, canning, book reviews, upcoming events, and more.

January 8, 2011

Getting in gear

Things here in the mountains of Carolina are white and serene. The blowing, quiet snow is giving way to the sun, and the wind is in turn changing the frigid rivulets into grandiose icicles. The moon is waxing from a tiny crescent and everyone seems to secretly enjoy their snowdays while complaining about the weather out of the other side of their mouth. I, for one, appreciate a day built for drinking coffee and wearing sweatpants and shuffling from computer to kitchen and back.

Aloe and Kalanchoe waiting for spring
Sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves is to settle and Be Quiet.  I've been fighting my annual case of winter boo-hoos by keeping myself busy with a ton of projects, and it's working in one way, but it is also straining my focus and making it hard to relax.

My body is calling attention to itself...my skin is asking for Vitamin A, my eyes and dry skin ask me to drink more water and up my healthy oils, and most of all, my muscles are begging for me to stretch and move more!  But gosh, is it hard when it's cold. All I wanna do is curl up with a book and tea and burrow into the covers.

How do you keep yourself motivated through winter? What are you working on?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Jan 8, 2011, 7:06:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Vitamin D, exercise, lots of black tea, and a personal heater =)

 
At Jan 9, 2011, 10:33:00 AM , Anonymous Heather said...

I don't have any motivation secrets, as I've been doing exactly what you described: Curling up with tea. I have been trying to use this time to work on our house, and craft projects that I've been neglecting. When the snow keeps me inside, I might as well take advantage of it :)

 
At Jan 9, 2011, 12:33:00 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous... The snow is long gone in London (for now). Instead it's just rain and gloom.

But I have a whole litany of tricks I'm using to keep the winter blues at bay. Fingers crossed some of them stick.

http://runesoup.com/2011/01/8-happiness-hacks-to-get-you-through-january/

 
At Jan 11, 2011, 4:24:00 AM , Blogger laoi gaul~williams said...

lots of crochet!
but i am thinking of starting up my yoga again

 
At Jan 30, 2011, 6:22:00 PM , Blogger Amber Pixie Shehan said...

Purr....you guys are great! We had a warm day today, and I'm sore from silly video game dancing, and feeling the potential of spring in my bones! :)

 

Post a Comment

Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home