Let's Talk About: Goldenrod
Waving at me from above the blue and purple chicory, teasing me, dancing behind the brown grasses drying in the autumn sun.
Goldenrod, Solidago, Golden Dagger!
Many people take one look at Goldenrod and run in the other direction, sneezing and coughing, but Goldenrod is NOT the source of your autumnal allergies. Poor showy Goldenrod has the bright, obvious flowers and so gets blamed. The big yellow flowers do not have airborne pollen, so you'd have to put the flowers IN your nose to cause a reaction (watch out for hornets).
The plant to blame is Ragweed - this sneaky plant is small, green, and unassuming, but the pollen blown on the breeze irritates many, many people. Ragweed and Goldenrod do tend to grow near each other in ditches and fields, hence the confusion.
The worst part is that Goldenrod is one of those cures that grows with the ailment, and it actually offers great relief for sinus allergy sufferers.
(Read more to see a recipe for Goldenrod Infused Honey...)
Besides allergy relief, Goldenrod is also a gentle nervine and helps with midwinter blues. As tincture, honey, or tea, goldenrod is like a burst of sunshine in the cold grey seasons!
| So vivid and bright in September. |
Goldenrod is a tasty medicine, if you ask me. It is a bitter aromatic, and has a citrus quality to it's scent and flavor. This especially comes out in the goldenrod infused honey (recipe below).
Harvest fresh goldenrod flowers, stems, and leaves by snipping them off in full bloom. The roots are also beneficial, but best harvested after the first frost. Before using fresh goldenrod in any of these preparations, I suggest that you check them well - like Queen Anne's Lace, the flowers are happy little bug condominiums. Goldenrod spiders, flies, bees, and wasps all enjoy spending time among the fluffy blooms.
Goldenrod Flower Infused Honey
This is particularly good by the spoonful or added to tea to help ease allergies or a sore throat from sinus drainage. So delicious!
| Goldenrod Honey and Tincture Jars |
Goldenrod Tincture
This is my go-to for sinus allergy treatment year-round. I've done a whole dropperful twice daily for intense sinus issues, and I have heard of others who add it to their water for drinking all day.
Chop the goldenrod flowers, roots, leaves and stems and put into a jar. Cover with booze of choice (I use vodka) and cap the jar. Put the date and contents on a label - trust me, you just might forget if you don't. Put the jar in a cabinet somewhere out of the light, and shake it every now and again. I tend to let mine sit about 6 weeks, and then I strain and bottle.
Goldenrod begins to bloom around early August at Lughnasadh, and I use the blooms in vases on altartops and tables in honor of Lugh and the golden light of autumn as first harvest is celebrated.
This year, I tried something new - I have bubbling away merrily on the counter a gallon jug of goldenrod flower wine. Once I bottle it and determine if it is any good, I'll share the recipe!
I've seen recipes for Goldenrod Oil, Goldenrod Vinegar, and other things as well, but I've not tried them yet. Have you ever used Goldenrod for food or medicine? What did you think?
Labels: allergy, autumn, DIY projects, goldenrod, honey, kidneys, let's talk about, ragweed, recipe box, tincture

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home