NO LONGER UPDATED visit Pixiespocket.com

This is an old blog, not updated, but you can find the new blog over at PixiesPocket.com - you'll find articles and recipes about herbalism, gardening, scratch recipes, brewing, canning, book reviews, upcoming events, and more.

September 21, 2013

Link Roundup: I feel like a hobbit...

Autumnal Equinox 2009 at Loughcrew Cairn by Clare Tuffy
Today is the autumnal equinox, and the offical beginning of fall.  So far I've spent the day fussing around the house - I made french toast and a strawberry ginger syrup, washed some dishes, and next will be bottling some wines and meads.  Days like this one, when the clouds are thick and the sun is hiding, the air is cool and windows open, make me feel like a hobbit.

Speaking of which, have you seen the Shire Cookbook?  It is being put together by one of the authors of A Feast of Ice and Fire, the Official Game of Thrones Cookbook (yes, they have lemoncakes).  Just for fun, you can see a few sample recipes from Bag End to try out!

Do you want to jump into cooking from Middle Earth? There's another slew of recipes here, complied by a few folks. 

I'm going to go apple-picking soon, and I can't wait! I love making applesauce and apple butter, as well as using my apple peels to make infused rum.

I'm going to try something new with applesauce this year - Roasted Applesauce, from the blog Beets & Blue Cheese.  

The first time I tried to can a batch of apple pie filling, it didn't work out so well.  Some apple bits were mush, the others firm, and the syrup was watery! It still got used as baked apple goodness, but I want to do better next time.  Do you have a good recipe for canned apple pie filling?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Sep 23, 2013, 12:55:00 AM , Blogger Hope Grace said...

Thank you for sharing the links to the Shire Cookbook! I'm going to try that Seedcake recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home