Recipe Box: Earl Grey Cordial
![]() |
| A bottle of cordial I gifted to a friend |
When I was a child, my Nana would make herself a cup each day in her beautiful gilt-edged china cup with the matching saucer. I would watch transfixed as she would tip a small spoonful of sugar into the dark liquid and stir gently, the spoon tinkling inside the mug. The milk would be next, making a graceful spiral swirl until it blended with the rich tea.
While I tasted Irish Breakfast and other dark, bold tea with no great impression, I truly enjoyed my first taste of Earl Grey Tea. The aromatic bergamot lit up my palate just as much as the caffeine lit up my little five year old brain!
I still love Earl Grey, and have it often. I have both regular for daytime, and caffeine-free for evening cups...as well as a fine cordial for when-so-ever I choose!
You can make your own Earl Grey Cordial - it is easy, and makes a wonderful gift to give a tea aficionado!
Earl Grey Cordial Recipe
Get an 8oz canning jar (or pickle jar, or whatever you have around), and add the following:
- 2 whole teabags of Earl Grey (staples, strings, and tags removed) OR;
- 3-4 teaspoons of bulk Earl Grey Tea
- Dried orange peel (about a third of a tangerine-sized peel, around 2 inches or so square)
- Vodka (enough to fill the jar)
Mix up some simple syrup using the following guide:
Simple Syrup
- Boil one cup of water.
- Add two cups of sugar (or brown sugar, or 1.5 cup of honey, or agave, or whatever you prefer!)
- Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
I haven't tried it yet, but I assume this procedure would work with any other kinds of tea bags, from herbal to green tea to beyond. If you want to review different ways of cordial making, check out this post!
Labels: booze, cordial, DIY projects, earl grey, recipe box, simple syrup, tea


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home