NO LONGER UPDATED visit Pixiespocket.com

This is an old blog, not updated, but you can find the new blog over at PixiesPocket.com - you'll find articles and recipes about herbalism, gardening, scratch recipes, brewing, canning, book reviews, upcoming events, and more.

February 6, 2010

Recipe Box: Best Ever Biscuits!

Image by me! Biscuits fresh out of the oven.

Breakfast is big in my house, and one of my household's favorite comfort foods is homemade Biscuits and Gravy! Now, everyone likes different gravy; with or without meat, peppered or plain, scratch or easy mix, etc. etc...but I've finally found the BISCUITS that please everyone!!

This recipe makes wonderful biscuits!  They are crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside - dense, but not too heavy.


Best Ever Biscuits
(makes about 12 or so)

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tablespoons softened butter
about 3/4 cup milk

Heat up your oven to 400 degrees.

Sift the flour before measuring it, add baking powder and salt, and then sift it all together.

Pinch the butter into the flour until it is well-mixed, moist crumb. Use your fingers! It's fun.

Add milk as needed, gradually, and stir until you get a soft dough. I never use the whole 3/4 cup.

Knead your dough for about half a minute on a lightly floured surface until it holds it's shape.

Roll it out 1/2 inch thick and cut with your biscuit cutter of choice, or make hand biscuits by patting out small rounds in your palm.

Bake on ungreased sheet for 12-15 minutes.


That's it! Plain and simple. I'm never buying biscuit mix again - this is too easy to make, and you end up with amazing results! 

Mmmm...time for warm biscuits and honey...

Labels:

7 Comments:

At Feb 10, 2010, 10:45:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that it is good to soak your flour for 12-24 hour before using it either in water or butter milk or yogurt(whatever liquid is in your recipe). It helps to inactivate enzyme inhibitors that are found in seeds/grains/legumes. (this comes from the cookbook nourishing traditions.)

Sage ashes were used as a levening agent in some traditions.

I use fresh ground whole wheat flour and the butter milk that is left from making butter.

 
At Feb 10, 2010, 11:07:00 AM , Blogger Amber Pixie Shehan said...

Wow, I've never heard about soaking flour before. I'll have to try that...reminds me of a sourdough starter concept.

Sage ashes - I bet that's yummy in it's own right. White sage? Most likely.

You've given me great ideas to try! Thank you, Anonymous!

 
At Mar 3, 2010, 4:35:00 AM , Blogger Missus D said...

Sounds great. I want to try it soon. I've been keeping away from buying sweet biscuits from the supermarkets because it's not too good for health, and making your own food sure makes eating it more enjoyable!

 
At Mar 3, 2010, 11:09:00 AM , Blogger Amber Pixie Shehan said...

These are good, fluffy, solid and crisp up well on the outside. :) I hope you enjoy!! My household sure does...

 
At Mar 7, 2010, 2:25:00 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

I love biscuits! Especially with gravy! I'm a peppered gravy gal.

 
At Nov 9, 2011, 4:33:00 PM , Anonymous summer said...

I made these and they were super easy and effing incredible. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

 
At Nov 9, 2011, 7:13:00 PM , Blogger Amber Pixie Shehan said...

Summer: Excellent! I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe! :) Thank you for your comment. You have a lovely blog, I hope to catch up on reading it more closely later. Right now I have to go do biscuit-making dishes.

 

Post a Comment

Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home