Let's Talk About: Honey vs. Sugar
![]() |
| Click here to visit the Pixie's Pocket |
Candy was a constant, being the first grandbaby on either side of my family for my generation had its sugar-crazed benefits. I didn't like most veggies until I turned 20, and has only been since I began walking the path of a green witch at that time that I've come to seriously turn my focus towards what I ingest and how it affects my health.
Other than now enjoying fresh and cooked vegetables and greatly reducing fast food from my diet (every now and then is quite alright), the biggest change that I've made is to cut down on processed sugars and high fructose corn syrup. Now, I know, a lot of people don't believe all of the hype about heavily processed sugars, and I don't make a practice of following overblown fads of panic myself.
What I can attest to is that by reducing the amount of processed sugars in my diet has produced the following effects:
My skin is clearer! I've been an itchy person my whole life, and when I cut out sugars a great deal of the irritation disappeared. There have been less pimples and blackheads to glare at in the mirror, as well.
My weight decreased! Now, this one is iffy because around the same time as cutting out the sugars, my activity level increased greatly. I still believe that both of those things contributed to the thirty pounds that I lost in the past 2 years! I'm now holding steady at a healthy weight for my size with almost no conscious effort.
My teeth squeak! I don't have the best teeth in history, that's for sure. But maintaining the health of my mouth and gums has been much easier without a film from my soda coating them, or bits of candy between my teeth! It even got so that my normal old toothpaste tasted like candy once I was unused to the super sweet stuff!
Candida begone! Anyone can get Candida overgrowth, men and women, old and young. Candida is in our bodies and is normally not a problem, but it feeds on sugar. If you swing the balance in the favor of Candida, it will bloom and grow like mad, causing yeast infections and thrush to make itchy places of anywhere warm and wet on your body. Mouth, tongue, genitals, armpits...it makes life quite uncomfortable!
And yet there was this realm that was so far away...chocolate cakes, and cinnamon latte. Sticky buns and pound cake were too sweet to maintain my healthy balance. This is unacceptable!
There had to be a medium...a compromise to be made. So instead of the usual two spoonfuls of sugar in my morning coffee, I used one spoonful of honey. If I wanted fruit juice, I'd dilute it a bit with spring water to no bad effect. Pasta and bread were all right, but sparingly used was better than the normal, painful gorging that I had been doing!
Honey seems to feel more bold and fulfilling than white sugar to me now...it has flavor and body and a fire inside that golden glow that nurtures me in ways that processed cane just doesn't do!I'm won over by the bees...and so is my skin, my teeth, my health!
Soon to come, honey as medicine, honey for beauty, honey for first aid, and more about bees and their versatile gift.
Labels: honey, lets talk about, nutrition


7 Comments:
My husband and I have started cutting out processed sugars and white flour from our diets. I have noticed a big change in my skin, hair and even my hot flashes arent so hot anymore. Dont know if I can attribute that to the change in diet. High frutose corn syrup is awful for my gut which by the way isnt bloated anymore. We are switching over to honey as soon as we use up all the sugar I have in the house. Have you tried many recipes using honey instead of sugar?
Denise, thanks for your comments!
A general rule for baking is 3/4 cup honey for 1 cup sugar, and lower the baking temp by about 20 degrees. And it blends especially well in recipes with buttermilk!
I adore the richness of honey compared to the quickly-addictive sugar intensity of white sugar. Even when I do still use sugar, it's raw crystals or brown sugar because I love molasses. :)
It's amazing to notice what happens when you make a conscious choice with your diet, isn't it? I won't totally quit sugar, but I sure do use a lot less of it and now so do the rest of the folks I live with.
blessings to you and yours!
Wow, Amber, what a wonderful lot of creative expression in such a short time! I'm so happy your "cottage industry" is growing.
Me, too, Connie...and thank you for your well wishes!
I've been swamped with orders this week, which feels AMAZING, let me tell you!
We love you and miss you and hope to make enough $$ to easily visit Florida once it's not icy muck around here!
Hello Amber,
You have a lovely blog! Thanks for commenting on my blog too.
Well I think Honey wins all the time over sugar. I think its such a lovely flavor. I just love it with tea and on crumpets.
Honey also has a lower GI rate over sugar and decreases the need to eat more sugar??!
I have been told that honey is a great face cleanser as well. It could be one of the best inventions which Mother Nature created.
Bees and Me: It's a GREAT face cleanser...just pat it on lightly and then let it dry. Rinse with hot, then cold water and you are squeaky clean!
Well done!
Good to see this information as a part of a conversation.
Post a Comment
Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home