NO LONGER UPDATED visit Pixiespocket.com

This is an old blog, not updated, but you can find the new blog over at PixiesPocket.com - you'll find articles and recipes about herbalism, gardening, scratch recipes, brewing, canning, book reviews, upcoming events, and more.

August 19, 2011

Rambling About Recycled Candles

Candles and Image by Amber Shehan
Making candles is fun, but candle-remaking is cathartic.

Bit by bit, I drop memories in the form of wax drippings into a pot resting over boiling water. As
the bits of colors swirl and mesh, I remember when and for what purpose that candle was burned. This was a blessing for our new home - and this, this next stripe of yellow is from the candle that burned during our anniversary dinner...

My fingers and clothing are rough and speckled with wax, for I am a clumsy and hasty girl. I get myself wound up tight and I start to spin, swirling and melting into my craft like the flecks and flickers of candles from last years journeys now pooling before me.

I pour the wax into waiting jars, layers of my memories building tacky rainbows with which to light my nights.


If you are a packrat like I am and you save your candle stubs, send them in to me and I will create recycled candles. I use milk cartons, so they are rougher than a brand new candle, but they will burn longer since they have been melted once before. The cost depends on the amount of wax and cost of shipping.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Aug 19, 2011, 2:54:00 PM , Anonymous Abel said...

Your homespun candles are the bomb! I loved mine so much that I only burn them on special occasions. Every one should send you their wax a have you craft them a candle! By the way, I don't agree with 'clumsy and hasty' rather I imagine it is hard to stay clean playin in da wax.

 
At Aug 20, 2011, 6:34:00 AM , Anonymous Carolina said...

We reuse wax too - and I also find myself remembering the special candles that created every new batch. And I agree with the comment above - is impossible to be neat when making candles!

 

Post a Comment

Thankee much for taking the time to leave a bit of your mind on my page...it enriches my brain compost and sprouts new ideas!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home